Saturday 12 January 2008

Val de Penis?!

No, not quite.. that would be Valdespino you're heading for, Jane!

It is a beautiful sunny day in rural Spain, perfect weather to take in the sights around them as mum drives the first leg of today's journey. Donkeys and olive groves, all the real Spain that most Brits don't see as they fly into and out of Malaga and stay within the confines of the artificial tourist districts. Mum and Jane are enjoying the looks they get as women doing 'this sort of thing' as much as anything, I think, though even they are not sure whether they count as women any more rather than old ladies - apparently there has been a fair bit of discussion comparing bowel and urine status (don't blame me, I'm just the messenger). They have had Peg up to 70mph today but won't be doing it very much as it is frightening enough with all that weight on board, and when you take into account that local roads are very narrow and passing lorries is nerve wracking, well, it just makes sense to slow down a little.

I must apologise for a mistake I made in my previous reports - the ferry crossing from Gibraltar is not ON the 13th, that is the date for meeting the other teams at the prearranged hotel, where they will stay on the 13th and 14th. So, a rest after today's drive. Well, a sort-of rest and a chance to see to some issues with Peg, who frightened mum today by jumping out of gear at 75mph and still has a distaste for lightbulbs.

Oh. Oh. Oh dear. Just got a message literally while writing to tell me the starter motor has gone, and they have bump started her (HOW with the amount of weight on board I do not know) and plan to keep her running until Gibraltar, so around 300 miles... good thing they just stopped for a loo break! Still, better progress than some of the other teams: 2 Old Farts Ride Again have gone down with the Noro virus and are stuck in Caen at last report; Cav's Caper have lost their clutch in the Pyrenees and many other teams are barely into France. At this stage in proceedings it should be entirely possible to find a mechanic. And entirely sensible to get everything back into as tip-top a condition as possible before crossing into Africa! I have texted them the Spanish for "My car doesn't work, it's the starter motor" just in case they need it, and got a message back which just about spells out their attitude: it "all adds to the story" apparently!

1 comment:

KK said...

Jo Swift has left a Spanish phrase that she feels may come in useful - "¿Perdóneme, mi coche no comenzará, puedo tomar prestado a su burro?"

Now my Spanish isn't up to much, but I think it's something along the lines of "My vehicle won't start, can I borrow your donkey?"