Tuesday 8 January 2008

That's it, we're off...

We leave at 10am tomorrow (Wednesday) morning to get the ferry at midnight in Poole. Naturally the weather forecast is for high winds. In many ways the next bit is the most stressful, two days of six hundred miles each with a stop at Biarritz in the middle. If we don't make the ferry from Gibralter on the 13th we don't go, it's as simple as that. The vehicle is packed, the responsibilities are farmed out. There is no turning back, I have spent this month's wages on immodium and sleeping bags and if I stay I don't eat. Once we get to Morocco our breakdowns, both mechanical and nervous, dictate the pace and the pressure reduces. I am looking forward to so much. Herds of camels, local food and goats in trees. New friends and the company of one of my oldest friends. Spectacular skies, warm sea and time out from everything in my ordinary life. I am not looking forward to minefields and border guards and having nowhere to wee. I will be updating as often as possible and at the very least texting Steph so she can put information posts up for me. There is more info available if you google plymouth-dakar challenge and check the field reports on the left of the main page. We will be texting in to that site as often as possible.
Wish me luck and send me the odd message - see/speak to you all in February!

1 comment:

Lissa said...

Good luck girls! I hope old Peg serves you proud. Take care, stay safe and have a blast. Lissa xxx